Friday, January 3, 2014

If you let a horse act up a little...

My new resolution for the year is to write more. So I am going to try and do just that. :)

I was feeding this week when I noticed that the colt Mozzie was acting a little pushy towards me.

Nothing major, just a few pinned ears and scowls.  Even with the scowls his behavior still would have been considered excellent by most standards.  But I had to talk with him about it just the same.

You see, his little pinny ears and scowls if left unchecked would eventually turn into kicks, bites, and charges.

Good horses will eventually become bad horses if they are allowed to get by with enough small time bad behaviors, which eventually leads to big time bad behaviors.

Just like a kid every horse will choose to test the boundaries at one time or another.  And it is your job be sure that they always continue on the right path.







 

1 comment:

  1. yes indeed. This is still the most valuable bit of all that you taught me, Kaylon. I haven't ridden in months, but those brats go in nicely every evening, go out like angels every morning, and pay very close attention to whether I'm happy enough. If they think not, they come around all head-down-and-ears-floppy, trying to improve my mood.

    ReplyDelete