Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Right Place, Right Time

Mozzie was gelded last Thursday.

It may have been the surgery or the drugs but he was less than eager to load up to go home afterwords.  It took us about 10 minutes to get him loaded.  A triumphant time for some but 10 minutes too long in my book.

Normally when a horse doesn't do something as well as they should I make the time to fix it immediately.  He would have been loaded and unloaded until he did it several times to my satisfaction.

I drill until it is right.  I work until I fix it.  I don't stop until it is done.

But that day I chose to let it go.

He had just had major surgery.  He was drugged up.  He was on pavement.

It just was not the right time to pick that fight.

He only needed to get home and that is what we did.  .

I effectively paused the game by not asking for more than what I needed at that moment.  Allowing me to later pick the right time to tackle his lack of enthusiasm over loading.

Sometimes the best training is waiting for the right place and time to do what you need to do.






No comments:

Post a Comment