Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why I am not starting my 2 year old this year

Spring is just around the corner and the sale ads are up with 2013 horses already started, and many with several months of riding already under their belt.

Mozzie Man will officially be two in April.

It is amazing how the time flies, and even though I can't wait to get on him I am waiting until he 3.  And even then he will be started very lightly and not ridden a lot until his 4th year.

I am waiting because of research like this:

Timing and Rate of Skeletal Maturation in Horses


Looking at Moz and the horses offered for sale I see gangly awkward tweenagers.  

And that is what they are.  

Starting a 2 year old is like expecting a 12 year old to play college level football.    

At 2 years of age very little of a horse's skeleton is mature and by waiting 1 extra year over 50% of the skeleton and joints will be mature.  

Considering that I've already spent 3 years growing him up (in the womb, and on the ground) it seems silly to not wait just a little while longer for a horse that I hope to have, enjoy, and be physically sound the next 25+ years. 

If more people were willing to take the time and just wait one extra year I think the world would have a lot more sound (without supplementation and medical intervention) horses at 6, 12, 20, and 25 years of age.


1 comment:

  1. Hey KnP Training your blog is Haynets Blog of the Day! Come and take a look: http://www.hay-net.co.uk/haynet-news/7887/equestrian-blog-of-the-day---knp-training

    ReplyDelete