Monday, January 27, 2014

Blanket Repair Photo Tutorial- Horseware Rug Repair Kit Tutorial/Review

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Over the last cold snap Mozzie managed to put a very large rip in his cheap baby blanket.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training


Still too small for his next size blanket and with another cold snap on the way I needed to get it repaired quickly and cheaply.  

I used the Horseware Rug Repair Kit a long with scissors, sewing pins, freezer paper, and disposable gloves.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

The kit included these simple instructions but only some parts were applicable to my situation.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

I started by cutting out strips and cutting off the frayed ends of the original blanket.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

And pinning those strips to hold them in place.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

The blanket flapped had curled and snagged and would no long fit to cover the hole so I needed a larger piece. 

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

The U shaped tear also proved to be a challenge requiring some piecing.

Copyright 2014 KnP Training


Copyright 2014 KnP Training


Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Once everything was pinned I put on my gloves and started gluing.  I tried to take pictures but got glue on the camera and had to stop.  I first glued the green pieces together and then glued the blanket to the green patch.  Below is the blanket after gluing.  

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Like most horse folks I did this repair in the house and had to keep things neat.  I added the freezer paper to both sides before moving and setting up (so glad that I did).  I had to move it after repaired as well and slide a pizza pan under neath it to stabilize everything during the move.  

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

I then had the challenge of finding something heavy and wide enough to let it set overnight per the instructions.  I found that the baby's packed up playpen in the office fit my needs perfectly.  

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

And 24 hours later it worked.  No sewing, completely waterproof, and it only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish.  

Copyright 2014 KnP Training

Final Thoughts and Review-

I was super pleased with the repair of this very large hole.  I used over 2/3's of the Stormsure Glue and 1 out of 4 patch sheets (Blue, Green, Black, and Purple) included in the Repair Kit.  The blanket will go on this evening and I will try and do an update of how this repair holds.  I will definitely be purchasing more glue to keep on hand.  While not recommended or required on the repair kit instructions I do highly recommend using freezer paper (you can see a little paper stuck to the blanket) to be sure that you do not glue your blanket to other objects or the floor.  All in all so far I was very impress and highly recommend the Horseware Rug Repair Kit for blanket repair needs.      

No comments:

Post a Comment